Saturday, February 5, 2011

La Vie Nantaise

Now that classes are in full swing, the days seem to fly by. It seems like this week just started, but here we are already on Saturday! Now that it’s officially February, I have been able to use my monthly pass for the TAN (Transports de l'Agglomération Nantaise), meaning I can take the bus or tram whenever I want and I no longer have to compost individual tickets for each ride. Now I don’t have to feel guilty or fiscally irresponsible about exploring the outer reaches of the city or taking the tram to the end of the line just to see watch it switch tracks. I've accumulated quite the stash of ID cards!
TAN pass, University of Nantes Student ID card,
SUAPS card, Library card, International Student ID card

This past week I took advantage of the SUAPS for the first time, which are the sports/gym classes at the university. I went to a rock climbing lesson and open climb session, and had a lot of fun! The instructor was very nice and made sure we understood how all the equipment worked before we started climbing. Another IES student and a guy named David were also first-time attendees, so the three of us got a walkthrough of how to tie the knots, proper belay technique, and climbing tips. Luckily I have experience climbing back home, because it would have been very difficult to follow his rapid demonstration if that had been my first time. Plus, the teacher left a lot of important safety information out so I pretty much just relied on my Upper Limits instruction. Once we were done ‘learning’, we were able to climb on our own. It was much more difficult without special rock climbing shoes, but I still managed to reach the top of several walls. I’m looking forward to making this a weekly adventure.
Climbing wall at the University of Nantes

On Thursdays I’m done with classes by 1pm, so I have plenty of time in the afternoon to spend however I want. This week it was in the 50s and fairly sunny, so I decided to take a leisurely stroll around my neighborhood before heading home. I live in a gorgeous part of Nantes, very near to several beautiful & historic churches as well as the Erdre River. My bus stop is just beyond St. Donatien church, so I walk past the back of it twice every day. However, it wasn’t until this day that I actually walked down the block and around the corner to view it from the front. I thought the back was pretty, but the front is way better!
The front of Saint Donatien

After finally viewing all angles of my bus-stop’s namesake, I continued my promenade down to the river. I’m not sure what I’ve been doing the last three weeks, because this was also my first time down to the Erdre. There’s a nice path all along the edge of the river where lots of Nantais were running, walking their dogs, and biking. I tried to take pictures of the view and the boats rowing by without looking too conspicuous or touristy. I probably failed miserably, but at least I got some decent pics.
L'Erdre

I bumped into my friend Devin from IES (and IWU) on the path, then the two of us decided to explore together and find the Isle of Versailles, a Japanese garden themed island off the river. It almost felt like a mini Asian vacation.



After class on Friday, a group of us took one of the tram lines all the way to the end, where we found a giant mall with an IKEA. None of us were in the market for Swedish furniture, but it was fun to look around and take advantage of the abundant photo-ops. On the way home, my friend Alyssa and I shared a tram car with what seemed like an entire kindergarten class, which to say the least was absolutely adorable! They were all speaking so quickly and excitedly (in French, of course!) and were dressed so stylishly. There were so many of them and they were so cute that I thought about taking one, but decided kidnapping is probably just as illegal here as in the States.

Yay for IKEA!

Today (Saturday) I got up early to meet a few friends and go to several outdoor markets. The first market, at Médiatheque (a tram stop close to IES), was a much larger venue than I was anticipating. Tents and tables full of everything from shoes and purses to live seafood and fresh bread extended as far as the eye could see. The food section confused my senses because one minute I would inhale deeply and enjoy the smell of baguettes, cheese, and fresh meat, then the wind would shift direction or we would keep walking and suddenly my nose would be ambushed by fishy nastiness. After the Médiatheque market, we took the tram to the better known Viarme-Talensac market. The first area of this market was similar to a flea market (or the Fleazaar) with a bunch of used items, artwork, and antiques. I enjoyed checking out all the old jewelry and books, but didn’t buy anything. Down the hill a bit there was another part of the market, which had an outdoor part with more flea markety items (I found and bought some cute shot glasses there) and an indoor section full of different food vendors. By this time it was approaching lunch time, so we ducked inside to find quelque chose à manger. I ended up eating a fresh baguette with little morsels of ham baked in and cheese melted on top. Yes, it was just as delicious as it sounds.
Fruit at Médiatheque
Bags, books, and clothes at Médiatheque
Kathryn ordering lunch at Talensac

Later in the afternoon (after a much needed nap), I went with some other IES students to my first French hockey game: Corsaires de Nantes vs. Les Galaxians Amneville. It definitely wasn’t the most skilled hockey I’ve ever seen, but it was still a lot of fun. Henry, you should learn a few key French phrases and move out here for the season, you’d be their star defenseman! I left the game after the first 2 periods so I could be home in time to eat dinner with my family, but I heard later that Nantes lost the game. I guess I’ll just have to go to another one to see the home team win.
Not the most exciting video... Nantes is black/blue

As you can see, I had quite an eventful week! Thanks for reading :)


1 comment:

  1. Emmi it sounds like you are having such an amazing time! keep living it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete